Thursday, April 21, 2011

I Promise, this is the Last Time I am Eating So Much Butter

This is my last dollop of butter. I promise I will never eat so much butter again. But it is Friday and I have been working really hard this week, so I must reward myself with something nice and what better than butter, if it is going to be some thing nice! Monday onwards I promise I will not eat butter again. I don’t know how many Mondays will I tell myself that before one Monday I break my work chair, but can you blame me? The moment you see that butter melt and mix into a dish, it transforms into this magical, mouth watering treat from wonderland. Well, I will just fix the chair when I come to it.

My friend Jane and I met in Nottingham, UK while doing our Master’s degree in TV Journalism over a year ago. We got talking one evening over some blueberry liqueur and that was the beginning of a new food friendship. The conversation began with me ranting about how good that blueberry liqueur that Jane was having was and we went on and on about breads and French butter and cheeses. But Jane never told me then, that she made the world’s best Spinach and Feta muffins. I heard about the muffins, a lot, from our faculty, the students, nearly everyone I knew in Nottingham. But each time she made them, everyone would just attack on them and I never got to taste them. By the time it was my turn to try them I was back here in India. So, now I am going to try out a recipe to make the world’s best Spinach and feta muffins from Jane Lee. Jane has mentioned a healthy version of the recipe as well but I am going to try the one with loads of butter. I will be trying this recipe over the weekend and let you and Jane know how it turned out in the tips section.

 For 12 regular muffins,


Ingredients

3/4 cups plain flour
1 cup of wholemeal flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
3-4 cups chopped spinach leaves (or baby spinach)
160 grams feta cheese cut into 1cm cubes
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk (or soy milk)
1/4 cup of sunflower oil (or melted butter for the unhealthy version)
1tbsp castor sugar (optional - I don't normally use it)

Method:
Heat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Sift all the dry ingredients (flour,

baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar (if using) into a mixing bowl.

Add the spinach and feta and coat properly. Combine egg, oil, milk and fold into flour mixture (DON'T overmix or it'll be bad). Spoon into muffin trays (fill each hole to 3/4) and bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment