Monday, June 27, 2011

Italian Food Marathon


Remember the saucy spaghetti I had been swooning over? Well, after I watched this movie, with all the amazing food in Italy, I have kind of been on an Italian food spree. I have been shopping Italian ingredients and cooking myself all these delicious and simple Italian recipes. I love Italian food. It is amazing how something so simple can be so extraordinary and delicious. It makes me want to go back to freshness and simplicity in cooking. So, I decided to make minestrone, my way, with fresh ingredients and garden vegetables that were available to me. I only had to walk up to my refrigerator, to fetch the ingredients for and cook me some healthy, Italian supper.

Minestrone Ala Me- Serves 4

















Ingredients
Tomatoes             3 large, 1 cm diced
Onion                    1, 1 cm diced
Carrots                  1, 1 cm diced
Celery                   2, 1 cm diced
French Green Beans         60g, 1cm
Peas                      30g, shelled
Pasta(macaroni, farfalle or any other dried pasta)                   60g
Salt               to taste
Fresh basil             6 leaves
Garlic                      4 cloves, crushed and finely chopped
Lemon Zest           1 lemon, grated zest(peel)              
Regular Processed Cheese (Mozarella or Cheddar cheese)                60g, grated

Method
Take 600ml water in a deep, heavy bottom pan. Add the onion, carrots, celery and beans. Heat the water and allow the ingredients to simmer for five to seven minutes until they are slightly cooked. Add in the dried pasta and allow the soup to simmer for another five minutes. Now, add in the tomatoes and peas and allow the soup to simmer for three to four minutes. Add salt to taste.

For the flavouring and garnish of the soup, shred the basil, combine the grated cheese, grated zest(yellow part of the lemon peel) of lemon, shredded basil and chopped garlic and mix them together thoroughly. Mash them and form them into tiny rounds of 1 cm diameter. Place this flavouring in a soup bowl and pour in the soup on top of this flavouring. Serve Hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment