We have been serving the same old traditional Modaks to Ganpati Bappa for so many years. Don’t get me wrong, I love traditional modaks but I believe in giving some variety to Bappa. It’s been few days since Ganesh Chaturthi began and his belly is loaded with traditional modaks. How about taking 20 minutes to make this Eggless Modak Cookie for Lord Ganesha this weekend?
Eggless Modak Cookies with Chocolate Center (Sugar Free)
This is an orange flavoured modak with chocolate center. It is a pure vegetarian cookie. This No egg cookie recipe is made with sugar free. If you wish to use regular sugar replace it with the same quantity of powdered sugar.
For 6-8 Cookies
Refined Flour 100grams
Sugar Free Sweetener 30grams
Butter, softened 50grams
Orange Peel (use only the zest) 7grams
Cold Water few drops
Dark Chocolate, cut into pieces (use buttons) 50grams
Vegetable Oil to grease mould
You Will Need
1) Preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius.
Sieve the flour and the sugar free together for proper mixing. Take this mixture on a flat surface rub in the butter into the flour using your fingertips, until the texture becomes like breadcrumbs.
2) Use a zester to only grate the outer layer of the orange peel. Be sure not to get the inner, white layer since it is bitter. Add the orange zest to the mixture and mix well.
3) Sprinkle cold water on the mixture just to bring the mixture together. It will still be crumbly but do not knead the mixture at all. Once you bring it together, cling wrap it and pop it to chill for 20 minutes.
4) Remove the mixture from the cling wrap and divide the dough into 6 equal parts (depending on the size of your modak mould). Save a little extra dough on the side.
5) First, take a bowl full of water with a tablespoon of vegetable oil mixed in it. Apply this water and oil mixture properly on the inside of the modak mould. Apply this water oil mixture on your hands. Take a lemon size portion from the dough mixture and round it up in your palm. Put this portion of dough inside the modak mould.
6) Make a cavity in the center of the dough with your thumb. Press the dough evenly with your fingers, on the sides of the modak mould, making a large cavity in the center. Add a small cut pieces of chocolate in the cavity and fill up the cavity completely. Take another small piece of the dough kept aside and seal the modak from the bottom, making it flat and even on the base. Open the mould and remove the modak. Finish the entire dough by making even size modaks.
7) Line the baking tray with a baking sheet. Place the cookies on the sheet and pop the tray into the oven for 10-12 minutes at 200 degree Celsius.
8) Remove the cookies from the oven and keep them to cool for 20 minutes before lacing them in your cookie jar.